Champagne has been made at the Taittinger property previously known as the Forest-Fourneaux Champagne House since the 1700s but the Taittinger family only
became associated with the property in the 1930s.
Pierre Taittinger first discovered the region when he was stationed at the Chateau de la Marqueterrie in 1915 during the First World War. He fell in love with the place and returned in 1932 buying the property along with the Forest-Fourneaux Champagne House in 1934. Pierre’s son Claude Taittinger took over from his father in 1960 and ran the property for the next 45 years. He expanded Taittinger’s vineyards to xxx hectares and was instrumental in growing the Champagne House’s prestigious reputation. The estate is now run by the Pierre Emmanuel (grandfather of the original founder) taking over in 2007 with his children Clovis and Vitalie Taittinger.
Chardonnay has always been prominent in the house of Taittinger, typically 40% of their Brut Réserve along with a majority of their vineyards situated at the top of the Cotes de Blancs south of Epernay.