Role: Bordeaux Buyer
Reporting to: Head of Buying
Location: Monument, London
PURPOSE OF ROLE
The Bordeaux Buyer role will primarily focus on driving the profitability and efficiency of the supplier base and more specifically the “Place de Bordeaux”, focusing on its own portfolio to start with and then develop on a more strategic approach to the entire Negociants and secondary market supplier base.
Deep, broad Region, Bordeaux-Place mechanism, Chateaux & Product knowledge alongside a positive, willingness-to-learn attitude, are crucial requirements in such a dynamic part of the business.
Strong numerical and commercial focus (protection and extension of gross margin, agreeing pricing, building volumes/consolidation, shipping etc) on management of supplier network and relationships will be key focus for the role.
Ambassadorship for FINE+RARE will be key moving forwards, particularly with important direct relationships, but also in a wider context and when penetrating new markets.
There is huge opportunity for individual growth development within a progressive FINE+RARE Buying team.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBITY
Phase 1 (circa 2-3 months)
This phase will focus on building understanding of F+R processes and ways of working, alongside familiarization of the internal software WINE+.
- Assisting the Buying Team with the day to day management of the supplier base.
- Centralised management and monitoring of product offers, including managing deadlines and communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Identifying issues, prioritising, and solving them efficiently.
- Liaise directly with various key departments in the company such as Inbound and Outbound logistics, Brand and Sales, who are the buying teams’ prime point of contact.
- Supporting the Buying Team in the management of allocations, promotions, and campaign planning.
- Organisation and preparation of internal, external tastings and buying trips.
- Supplementing the buying team’s En Primeur campaign (Bordeaux) through sourcing of required stock from secondary markets and help managing allocations.
Phase 2 (6-12 months)
This phase will develop commercial understanding via the offer process, how to identify highly profitable opportunities, alongside taking on responsibility for some suppliers:
- Take responsibility for a portfolio of Négociants, improving understanding of F+R relationships, driving performance and build strong commercial relationship in order to develop the partnership and reach profit KPIs at a portfolio and team level.
- Spot and convert highly profitable opportunities by sourcing products with compelling USPs that will match and exceed key markets and/or F+R client expectations.
- Work closely with the Head of Buying to ensure the delivery of En Primeur Campaign allocation management, wallet share, content and driving internal awareness and understanding.
- Being able to share high level of knowledge of Bordeaux wine region, Chateaux and Negociants system to support offers and campaigns internally and externally.
- Work closely with senior sales managers to develop understanding of F+R client’s needs.
- Collaboratively with other key departments & Bordeaux Chateaux, implement training program for Account Managers themed around Bordeaux in order to develop their understanding of the region, its terroirs, its producers, and specificities.
- Help in the planning and forecasting calendar of opportunities to meet ongoing sales targets.
- Strategic monitoring of fine wine investment market, including auctions, press and critics reports.
This final stage will focus on a more strategic approach to the supplier base on how to develop and manage the portfolio of suppliers alongside taking ownership around campaigns and own projects:
- Create clear reporting and strategic analysis of your portfolio to decide what are the next steps, analysing potential growth for each of them, to take strategic decisions around status of the relationships.
- Start prospecting for new key relationship on both the place and secondary market in the UK, US, HK, and Europe. Targeting key producers and agents across Europe.
- Working closely with Head of Buying to develop a more strategic approach to EP Campaign but also through physical stock during the year. Maximising visibility and diversify offerings, working towards improving payment terms and develop preferential terms with key suppliers.
- Generate critic / vintage reports analysis and identify angles or possible opportunities that could come from it.
- Taking ownership of campaigns and own projects.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Proven experience in a wine buying role with track record of managing key-relationships with a high spend are essential.
- Existing strong relationship with Chateaux and Top 10 Bordeaux Negociants is desirable.
- A comprehensive understanding of the Bordeaux wine market and trends.
- Educated to WSET diploma (Level 4) or studying towards.
- Fluent in English and French required.
- Advanced Excel skills, demonstrating an ability to create and analyse reports.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Commercially astute.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced sales focused environment.
- Pro-active, self-starter who uses their own initiative.
- Strong organisation and communication skills.
- Knowledge and a love of the fine wine market.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties to be performed by the post holder and may be altered to reflect the business needs of the company.
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com