The estate dates back to 1585 and has been producing wine on the property since the early 17th century. In the 1855 classification the Chateau was awarded Third Growth status. Through much of the 20th century the estate was owned by the Ritz /Zuger family who were also the owners of neighbouring Chateau Malescot St Exupery. For much of this time the wine of Marquis d’Alesme was produced in the neighbouring estate.
Up until 2006, Chateau Marquis d’Alesme was a largely neglected property, sitting on some of the best terroir in the appellation. It is in fact the smallest classified growth in the Medoc and it consists of just 15 hectares made up of three separate plots which neighbour the vineyards of Chateau Margaux. The property was bought by Nathalie Perrodo-Samani in 2006, with the current winemaking team starting to make changes in 2010. An impressive, brand new winery was built in 2014 and ever since the quality has been on a sharp upswing.