Historically Château Labégorce was one of the largest estates in the Médoc. It was originally owned by the Grosse family (or Gorce – hence the name) whose ownership dates back to the 14th century. Following the French Revolution the property was broken down into three separate entities – Château Labégorce, Labégorce-Zédé and L’Abbé Grosse de Grosse.
Following the separation of the estate, at the time of the 1855 classification the property was not producing wine and therefore missed out on classification. The estates passed through quite a few different owners throughout the 20th century before the current owners (the Perrodo family) bought all three properties, Château Labégorce in 1989, L’Abbé Grosse de Grosse in 2002 and Labégorce-Zédé in 2005 - again reuniting the three properties.