Ch. la Mission Haut-Brion
Ch. la Mission Haut-Brion is one of the greatest estates in all of Bordeaux, arguably the King of the Left Bank. Robert Parker has awarded it more 100-point scores than any other wine in the Médoc, equalling Pétrus in achieving 12 perfect 100-point scores.
Of course, the reputation and quality of the wines from this estate long predate the modern-day critics. Prior to the 1855 classification, Ch. la Mission Haut-Brion was one of the most expensive wines in Bordeaux, second only to its historic neighbour Ch. Haut-Brion.
The two properties are both owned by the Dillon family (Domaine Clarence Dillon) who bought Ch. Haut-Brion in 1935 and purchased Ch. la Mission Haut-Brion 48 years later, in 1983.
It is famous for both its red and white Grand Vin. The white Grand Vin was first produced in 1923 under the name La Mission Haut-Brion Blanc, however as the estate didn't feel the quality at the time was worthy of a Grand Vin, they changed the name to Laville Haut-Brion in the 1930s. From the 2009 vintage, with the wine one of the region's finest whites, its name was changed back to La Mission Haut-Brion Blanc.
A second (red) wine, La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion, was introduced in 1991. Since 2006, it has included fruit that was previously used to produce Ch. la Tour Haut-Brion.