The first reference to vines in the ‘Graves de Bonalgue’ area dates back to the French Revolution. A veteran from Napoleon’s army, Captain Rabion, took possession of the land and built a stately residence. The building housed his regimental arms, and the garden was planted with cedar trees.
The property was purchased by Libourne-based négociant Jean-Baptiste Audy in 1926 and the family firm continues to be run by Audy’s great-grandson Jean-Baptiste Bourotte. Merlot accounts for 95% of vines on this early-ripening site, producing a rich and round Pomerol expression that continues to impress critics.