Linkwood needs little introduction to whisky lovers but is slightly less well known to the masses. The historic distillery, in the heart of Speyside, produces some remarkable single malts and is one of the main constituents in Johnnie Walker and White Horse Blends.
Built in 1821 by Peter Brown, Linkwood – located on the outskirts of Elgin – didn’t officially produce whisky until 1824, after the Excise Act was passed in 1823. In the 1870s, the distillery was completely rebuilt by Peter’s son, William.
Other key dates in the distillery’s history are a rebuild in 1962, and a new stillhouse build in 1971. Production at the original site slowed and then ceased in 1985. Occasional experimental runs occurred in the intervening years until the buildings were demolished in 2012.
During the 1960s, one of the distillery’s slightly more fastidious managers was rumoured to be so particular that he not only had the stills replaced with exact replicas, dents and all, to retain the spirit’s character, but he also refused to remove cobwebs for fear it would affect the whisky.
There have been a number of rare Linkwood bottlings by Gordon & MacPhail and Douglas Laing & Co. Current owner Diageo famously introduced Linkwood to whisky connoisseurs in its 1998 Flora & Fauna range.
Linkwood is a light, floral Speyside whisky.