Château Cheval Blanc produces the most iconic Cabernet Franc-based wine in the world. This 1er Grand Cru Classé wine is the leading estate in St Emilion, located on the right bank of the Gironde in Bordeaux and bordering Pomerol.Cheval Blanc’s neighbours include Chateau L'Evangile, which is owned by Chateau Lafite Rothschild.
The terroir of Chateau Cheval Blanc includes a gravelly, nutrient-rich soil with sandy clay subsoil. This combination of gravel and clay is perfect for wine production, providing a richness and close-knit tannic structure.
Cabernet Franc accounts for 58% of the vines, with Merlot occupying the remaining 42% of the vineyards. The average age of vines is over 40 years old, which reduces yields but produces wines of exceptional quality. Fermentation and maceration takes place over 4 weeks in stainless steel vats, followed by 18 months’ maturation in new oak barrels.
Cheval Blanc’s average yearly production is around 6,000 cases of the Grand Vin, as well as 2,500 cases of the Second, Le Petit Cheval. While some of the more mature vintages are highly sought-after, including 1921 and 1947, many of the younger wines of Cheval Blanc are also especially good, particularly 1998, 2000 and 2005.
Estate director Pierre Lurton is also at the helm of Chateau d’Yquem, the world’s most famous sweet wine.
View Cheval Blanc (dam label, mid shoulder) wines